It all began in a back room…
The experience of working for a shipping company gave rise to the idea of establishing something myself. A desk, phone and the belief that it would work, were all I had in the beginning. More than 30 years have passed since then. The back room has become a loft office in Hamburg. 33 members of staff work here to make sure we run a high-performance fleet. About 400 crew members go to sea, transporting goods to every country in the world. The owners and partners have one goal: MC-Schiffahrt.
An owner-managed company
Mad Dabelstein, born 1964, trained as a shipping merchant and worked in the mid 80s as a charterer for a Hamburg shipping company. In 1990 he became managing director of MarConsult Schiffahrt, where he later became co-shareholder, and then in 1995 sole shareholder. Mad Dabelstein is the company’s strategist. He analyses, designs and communicates the route taken by MC-Schiffahrt. He’s the guy with all the information and answers.
We know that strategy and motivation lead to efficient work results. We understand that open communication is essential for excellent service; of course the head of project development also works with the technology department when it seems necessary. Willingness characterizes our team. All sea personnel undergo regular training. The fleet’s crews are highly qualified. We receive over 2500 emails every day. By the end of the day replies have been sent. All our staff identify fully with the company. Each one is a specialist in their field and also understands others’ roles. The highly skilled individuals form a strong team.
- Shipping agent since 1982
- Managing partner since 1990
- The third generation working in shipping
- Strategic focus
- Technical business manager and master engineer since 1985
- employed by the company since 2006
- Fleet manager Technology/ navigation
- Planning and conducting docking, repair work, building supervision for new builds, technical purchasing, ISM, ISPS, manning the fleet, handling insurance claims
- Degree in Business and Accounting (1995)
- employed by the company since 2014
- Head of Finance and Accounting
- Comprehensive practice as tax consultant
- Specialist in international tax law and limited partnership models
- Extensive experience as Head of Finance of a listed issuing house with linked shipping company